Welcome To Catherine's Cancer Journey Blog.

Hi and welcome to my blog. I'm Catherine a mum of 3 lovely children who was diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of 38.
Please feel free to read my Cancer journey and comment if you would like to. Thank you for taken the time to read my posts.
Your support is very much appreciated. New pictures are posted at the end of the page. Thank you.
Catherine xxxxxx

Monday, October 11, 2010

Here Is A List Of Some Side Effects Of Chemotherapy.

This is a list of some of the side effects of Chemotherapy that I have gone through. Everyone is different and not everyone goes through the same side effects. Some people suffer worse then others and others have few side effects to deal with. I guess it depends on the individual.

Hair Loss.
I was told I would lose all my hair. I didn't lose it all I still have some hair, eye brows, eyelashes. I don't have much hair but what I do have is still growing.

Dry Mouth.
I have to say a few days after the big Chemotherapy sessions my mouth does get very sore and dry. The roof of my mouth feels like it's peeling away and it lasts for a couple of days. The tip of my tongue gets very red and sore and stings a little for a few days to.

Numbness.
After the 4th Chemo session my toes started to feel numb and still feel that way. The tips of my fingers get a tiny little bit numb but nothing major to cope with.

Nails.
I managed to keep all my nails on my fingers and toes. They changed color from a pink to a brown color.

Fatigue.
This is something I suffer bad from in my legs and feet. The tiredness in my legs and feet are so bad that when I walk it's like trying to walk up a steep hill. It's the best way for me to describe it. It does not go away with rest and when I'm lying down they ache and throb like mad. A little tip from me. Buy some Peppermint Gel to help with fatigue in the legs it does help and can be got from any health shop.

Depression.
The steroids you have to take the day before Chemo, day of Chemo, day after Chemo, tend to make some people stay awake all night while your on them and depressed when they wear off for a couple of days. The best advice I can give is to sleep as much as possible and make the days go by a little faster to where you start to feel a little better.

Tiredness.
The Chemotherapy does make me tired. I do what I can in the mornings that seems to be my best time of the day for energy. By the after noon I'm pretty tired and I do have little sleeps to help me feel a bit better. Everyone is different so just rest as much as you can.

Taste.
Your taste goes off really bad and the food tastes different soon after the first Big Chemo day and does not come back till the Chemotherapy ends. For me I can taste really sweet things, soups, spices, Milk shakes, Different things work for different people.

Hot Flushes.
I'm going through hot flushes and for me thats sweating on the head a and face and only for a few minutes. Not sure if that is from the Chemo or the Menopause. The Chemotherapy stops you from having periods and can cause early Menopause.

2 comments:

  1. Until they see or experience it first hand most people think that the worst thing about Chemo is the hair loss.When you see an actor on TV or films portraying someone fighting cancer the main thing seems to be hair loss. It's the other effects that can be so physiologically and physically draining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment. I so agree with you there and I have to say that is the first thing I thought about when I was told I had to have Chemo was that all my lovely had to go. Never even gave the other effects much thought till I was going through it an your right it really is physically draining just like you say.

    ReplyDelete

Catherine's new look :)

Catherine's new look :)