Welcome To Catherine's Cancer Journey Blog.

Hi and welcome to my blog. I'm Catherine a mum of 3 lovely children who was diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of 38.
Please feel free to read my Cancer journey and comment if you would like to. Thank you for taken the time to read my posts.
Your support is very much appreciated. New pictures are posted at the end of the page. Thank you.
Catherine xxxxxx

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Please Help With Chemo Tips And Comments.

I would appreciate any help to do with Chemo and tips on how to get through it. My Chemo starts next Wednesday and I'm very nervous about it. I know it is going to be tough and it has to be done. I would love to hear how people coped with their Chemo and what helped them get through it. I don't want to be sick all the time and I'm looking for information that will help me. When I am finished mine I am going to give as much information as I can to people going through Chemo.

I know Chemo has different effects on everybody and everyone reacts different to it.
I'm trying to prepare myself for the Chemo by getting as much information as possible before it starts. I hope I'm lucky enough not to be effected to bad but only time will tell. So please help if you can your help is appreciated very much.
Catherine xxx

2 comments:

  1. Hello- my name is Ouida. I'm a friend of Tracy Hill-Harvey. I was diagnosed with breast cancer at age 32...6 years ago. I started chemo 4 days after my son was born. Imagine walking into the treatment center with the hospital bracelet still on & carrying a newborn! People thought I was in the wrong place!
    I think I had just about every side effect there was during that trial. I went through 4 rounds of A/C, 35 of Taxol & a year of Herceptin. There were plenty of sick days, tingling in the feet & fingers, nearly lost my toe & fingernails, severe dry eye causing extreme swelling of the eyes, a staph infection that prompted the removal of the skin spacing implants after the mastectomy.... but I made it through it all! I can't tell you exactly which way to go or what to do because everything will affect people differently. What worked for me...what happened to me... may not happen to you or work for you. But feel free to ask me any questions & I'll try to help. You can reach me at electa530@yahoo.com.

    Ouida

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I don't know what type of chemo you're having, but the modern anti nausea meds they have now are very good. The main tip is to take them even if you feel you don't need them as it's easier to prevent nausea than stop it if it begins.
    Drink lots of water during and after the infusion, and if you have a lot of heartburn ask for something for it to protect the eosphagus.
    Rest when your body tells you to, and avoid crowds or anyone with a cold or infection. I was'nt hungry so just ate snack foods little and often that were easy to digest. The steroids can cause sleeplessness and sweats btw so just a fyi!
    Overall, I found it to be no picnnic but very do able and less daunting than I thought it would be so good luck!
    Tricia

    ReplyDelete

Catherine's new look :)

Catherine's new look :)